Sunday 22 February 2009

Preparations 1 - Gadgets

The whole going away to Bahrain business is not all bad I suppose. It has given me a sound excuse to top up on a few gadgets.

The first of these is the thing I am typing on now, a so called 'netbook' as it is smaller and lighter than a laptop and so supposedly ultra portable. This particular one is a thing called a Samsung NC10 which so far has proved very good indeed and has a phenomenal battery life which is always a rare thing. The only bit I was a unsure about was the small and slightly oddly shaped track pad but I have got around that by buying the world's smallest, sexiest and cleverest wireless mouse. It is about the same size as a lipstick tube and recharges itself by attaching itself to the wireless transmitter that plugs into a USB port on the computer. So far it works a treat and is impressively micro while still being entirely useable.

In terms of programmes I have loaded up Skype for VOIP chatting to all while I am away, Picassa for photo management and sharing via Picassa online site and then Open Office which is to all intents and purposes, Microsoft Office, except it is free, downloads quickly and installs with no problems at all (on second thoughts it is nothing like MS Office at all!).
The other gadget of which I am particularly proud is a new camera. A Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T2 to be precise and it is remarkably small (miniaturization is the way ahead when travelling!). It also has many more functions than I shall ever get to grips with but hopefully some of my efforts will be appearing here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment