Saturday 21 March 2009

Time Flies ....Not!

Being essentially chained to a desk for 12hrs a day definitely gives a warpped sense of time. It is already slightly odd to kick off at 7pm being completely wide awake - a process which requires a considered sleep pattern, a run of about 2 miles despite the heat which prevails at dusk and hot shower. That all done staying alert all night is not much of a problem despite the best efforts of BFBS broadcasting to send one to sleep. I also have the, shall we say - varied, conversational subjects of my fellow watchkeepers to keep me going. Both Leading Hands, one does communications and signals stuff while the other monitors the intelligence picture. Needless to say not a lot changes on the whole and unless we have a major drama which unfortunately (?) rarely happens we have quite a bit of time on our hands. This innevitably means that tasks that could be done in about 30mins get done slowly and then revisited several times just because you can. I also suspect that having more time to do stuff does not necessarily improve the accuracy to which it is done. As I have my first briefing to do this morning we shall probably find out as I'm sure there will be plenty of advice from various folk about how to do it better. I have already begun to suspect initiative is rather frowned upon around here despite protestations that the opposite is true.
I'm also sure there will soon be many keen (panicking?) staff officers descending on the office unnecessarily early to sort out their briefs and I am fairly confident that their problems will rapidly become my problems - oh, well, gives us something to do to accelerate time a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment